Beet Fennel Soup (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker)
(Paleo-friendly and AIP-friendly)
Adapted from http://www.paleocajunlady.com/aip-paleo-instant-pot-beet-fennel-soup-recipe/
Ingredients (makes 4 – 6 servings)
- 1 TBSP cooking fat (bacon grease, coconut oil, lard, tallow)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 pound beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 quart chicken or beef bone broth (OR use ¼ cup coconut aminos + 3.5 to 3.75 cup water) (You always add more water before blending, for a thinner consistency if you'd like.)
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely sliced basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Put cooking fat in inner pot of Instant Pot (IP).*
- Melt cooking fat in inner pot of IP by pressing the “Sauté” button.
- Once melted, add onion & cook onions until clear, about 7 minutes.
- Press “Off” button.
- Add the rest of ingredients to inner pot. Stir.
- Secure lid and make sure the valve is pushed back to “sealing”.
- Press “Soup” button, allow to cook. This takes about 45 minutes even though the soup function will 30 minutes.
- When IP beeps, the cooking is complete and press “Off” button.
- Allow to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
- Carefully, open lid.
- Using an immersion blender/stick blender, blend soup slowly.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Add optional toppings and serve! (This also tastes great cold as leftovers too!
* If you are using a slow cooker, follow steps 1, 2 & 3 but sauté the onions on the stove top. Then, add the onions to the slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients. Set at low for about 6 hours or on high for about 4 hours. *
- Sautéed beet greens (if you have them from purchasing the beets)
- Coconut flakes / plantain chips
- Nuts/seeds (not AIP)